Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Big Announcement (Part 2)

The big weekend came much faster than any of us anticipated. I was ready for it to be over before it even started. We were all planning Cheat Fest 2009, to be held immediately post qualifiers, and ice cream was the only thing I really wanted to eat. Friday, May 1st, we traveled from Cedar Park to Fort Worth. Committed to sticking with paleo until after the final WOD, I packed enough paleo food to feed me, Logan and Scott for the next 3 days. We have never been known to travel light.

After hotel check-in our first stop was packet pick up at Luke's Locker. This was the first time in history that I blew past the T-Shirt and went straight for the paper work. I wanted details. As a perfectionist for planning, I needed to wrap my brain around my heat times. I struck GOLD! My first WOD was set for 10:20am. More sleep, time to eat and digest my breakfast and vitamins, time to stretch, time to warm up, but way too much time to think about it.

After packet pick up the CrossFit Tillman Training team joined all the other competitors from 5 states at GSX for the workout announcements. Having no idea what 3 workouts would be selected was a major concern for many of the athletes there. Personally, I didn't want to see anything gymnastics related. No handstands, no ring dips, and take those L pull ups and shove 'em! After an hour of anticipation, mingling, summing up the competition, Jeff Tucker took the stage and announced the 3 workouts.

#1 - The Irony
"Rowing Grace"
3 Rounds
105 lb Squat Cleans to Overhead
500m Row

#2 - The Inevitable
50 Chest to Bar pull ups
50 Burpees

#3 - The Ideal
21-15-9
Box Jumps
KB Swings
Sumo Deadlift High Pull

PERFECT! I felt as if every single one of these workouts were picked for me. As a faithful follower of the Dot Com WODs, I knew Glassman's CrossFit posts had prepared me for this. The qualifier workouts were chalked full of all the movements I had been perfecting for months. Thank you Tucker, Thank you Glassman! I was confident that technique and weight would not be an issue.

That night after Logan was asleep Scott and I laid there in silence as thoughts of determination chased themselves around in my head. Meditations, positive affirmations, mentally running through "rowing Grace" rep for rep. I was anticipating the hard parts and planning how to over come the urge to rest. Breaking the silence Scott whispered, "you are thinking about the workouts aren't you?" Sometimes I think he knows me better than I know myself.

No comments: