Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Incredible Edible Egg

My sympathy goes out to all my teacher friends this month! I've spent several hours grading papers and as much as I love making judgment calls with the strike of my nasty red pen, reading everyone's food intake is getting old. And, just as I dream that one day my kids will see how hard their mom works for them, I equally hope all the Holly Jolly competitors see how hard their coaches are working for their goals. **HINT: Show your gratitude by continuing Holly Jolly habits long after the challenge is over.

After weeks of reading food logs, the reoccurring comment, “I’m getting really sick of eggs," struck me as a challenge and as the light bulb light, a blog was inspired. How many ways can I prep an egg?

10 Ways to Prepare Eggs (Paleo breakfast)

1. Scrambled and cooked in organic butter. Get creative with the seasoning. I use so much chili powder and cumin that I have to buy them in bulk. Try food coloring for the kids. Our 4 year old eats Blue eggs all the time.

2. Fried in bacon grease, organic butter, or coconut oil. Fried eggs and Bacon...just like grandma made, but skip out on the biscuits and gravy.

3. The Omelet. Fill it full of all your favorite diced veggies.

4. Smothered. Try salsa or any other paleo sauce or veggie puree. Pumpkin puree over fried eggs is a real treat for the taste buds.

5. Boiled. Eat them plain jane or mix a quick egg salad. And there's always deviled eggs...Yummy.

6. Poached - similar to boiled, yet different.

7. Egg Sandwich. Fry the egg over hard and stick that bad boy between some sliced tomatoes and hearty lettuce. Add a paleo spread to make it juicy.

8. Crustless Quiche or Egg muffins. There's even a video! So easy a caveman could do it.

9. Bulk Frittata. Cook a batch on Sunday night and enjoy it on the go all week.

10. Man Scramble. Sauté all your favorite veggies in organic butter or coconut oil then add the eggs. Don't be afraid to mix broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, even sweet potatoes in with your eggs. This is a favorite in my house.
There you have it folks, just because you're boring doesn't mean your eggs have to be. There are several recipes and ideas linked to this blog. Give them all a try. It’s Egg-xactly what your taste buds have been screaming for!

2 comments:

Wladi said...

this is really cool...im def gonna try some of the not so conventional ways.

thanks nik!

Keisha said...

I make a big batch of taco meat (ground beef, zuc, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, TONS of cumin & chili powder, etc) for dinner & the next morning I mix the left overs with my eggs & scramble it all together (think Chorizo & eggs). Then I smother it in guac! YUM!!!

I've been eating eggs for breakfast & dinner some days...guess I'm making up for the aversion I had to them for the past 40ish weeks :)