Friday, June 13, 2008

Kip It!

One of my first goals when I started CrossFit in September of 2007 was to do ONE pull up. I didn't originally have it on my list, as I didn't see it as important or very obtainable (never limit yourself by means of negative thoughts). My trainer at the time, Mike Gregory, encouraged me to add the goal to my list during my first fitness assessment. Through out the first few months I modified all pull ups with a jump, but after class would hang from the bar, swing back and forth, and get a feel for the movement involved in a Kipping Pull up. At first, my extra practice was comparable to sticking my toe in the pool to test the water. As weeks went by, one WOD after another demanding hundreds of pull ups, I started to progress. I moved from a jumping pull up to a SuperBand assisted pull up (HUGE rubber band that allows body weight to be compensated). I'm not sure of the exact time frame but one of my new years resolutions was to do 10 pull ups in a row, unassisted, and I DID IT! I used to hate WODs with pull ups, but now I live for them!! Now that I am a trainer, and soon to be CrossFit Level I certified, I'm encouraging not just my clients, but everyone I meet to add pull ups to their goals sheets. Below is a video of Robin Tillman hitting her goal of 5 pull ups in a row. I couldn't be more excited for her! Keep knockin' 'em out Robin!!



Watch the CrossFit celebrities Kip and try it for yourself. KIPPING: THE CONCEPT

No comments: